header

header

Wednesday 9 November 2011

First post, first piece

There are things to be said for being married to the Best Husband in the World. Here's an example: last year we were watching Mastercrafts, and they were showing three people learning how to do stained glass. I made an off-hand comment that I'd always wanted to learn how to do stained glass, and promptly forgot that I'd ever told him that.


But did Best Husband in the World forget it? No! He squirrelled that comment away in his brain, and a few months later, sprung it on me that my birthday present was two one-on-one classes with a stained glass professional!

See what I mean?

Anyway, I took to stained glass immediately. Despite the aching back you get from standing bent over a cutting table for hours on end and the innumerable cuts, burns and other indignities your hands suffer when you work with glass, I loved it.

I'm starting this blog to chart my progress with stained glass. Here's the first piece I ever made. I drew the design freehand and it took me two sessions of about 5 hours each to cut, lead and finish the piece.


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I really like this one. It's kind of organic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of my favorite pieces, it reminds me very much of the old globe lanterns that used to be in Lake Park.

    ReplyDelete